Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving in Israel

If you want to here all the inefficient, lengthy, and expensive ways to get from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem feel free to ask me, but out of exhaustion and grumpiness I choose not to recount them here.

Last night I went to the Nefesh B'Nefesh Thanksgiving dinner in Tel Aviv. It was good, there was turkey. It's no parade and Thanksgiving football, but it was nice to have a taste of tradition. I took the morning off in solidarity with my friends back in the US. Or because I was tired- whichever you want to believe. These social events are becoming a little less daunting as I take advantage of the three or four friends I've made in this country. Just kidding, it's more like six friends. Thankfully I know a lot of the "cool useful people" like Ted who besides his Wii, also has a car in which I got a ride to the event. If only I got a ride back... but I'm still not going to talk about that.

The video posted below won second place in the Nefesh B'Nefesh "Israel in a Minute" competition. The video that won is pure aliyah propaganda-- a bunch of smiling olim from different countries with their voices overlapping saying how happy they are to finally be home together in the Jewish land. Not surprising to me, everyone liked the second place video better. It's simple and funny, and captures an aspect of our new lives in Israel that we all agree with and can appreciate. I think most of us get past the idealism really quickly and realize there's only so long you can laugh about things like bank accounts being inaccessible and sporadic floods under the sink. Yes, we're happy we're home. It's great. We did it. Yahoo. But it takes a lot of effort to calm myself down and be truly happy about being here. Thankfully I at least see things like this to make me laugh once in awhile...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XL6VPom3I1Q

No comments: