Every Monday and Tuesday I take care of a three year old boy and his baby brother. Their apartment has a huge window overlooking Keren HaYesod, a main thoroughfare for both cars and buses. We often look out the window and comment on what we see-- cars of different colors, trucks, taxis. Today all we saw was a few police vehicles. Then we got the call from his mom that her bus wouldn't go anywhere near the apartment so she was on foot and would be home as soon as she could. "Why are there no cars?" the boy wanted to know.
How do you explain the street being closed for a rally to protest Annapolis? There were tons of people walking towards town in the middle of the street, and this kid knows we only walk on sidewalks. So what was I supposed to say. "Well, sometimes in Yerushalayim a lot of people want to get together in the middle of a busy street and because of that the police make sure all the cars and buses stay away." "Oh, the buses are sleeping today!" Okay, it wasn't like I expected him to get it anyway.
Once his mother came home he completely lost interest in the abnormalities outside and I came home to enjoy a pleasant evening listening to fun Jewish music from the rally down the street. I guess this is how we express our dissatisfaction here in Jerusalem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment