... where I'm sitting on the ground by a random office building stealing some random company/person's wireless, and losing feeling in various parts of my body. But at least the weather is great. I feel like a homeless person, except I don't know of too many homeless people who sit around on an iBook. Anyway, I am here because I'm meeting up with a couple friends soon. Then I'm going to Kemp Mill to meet up with another friend and I'll go with her on a tour of Kemp Mill to see various friends including two who have a newborn baby. Aw. Can't wait. And then... going to College Park! I'm throwing myself a party there. How else am I going to see everyone is such a short period of time? I'm excited.
This morning I said bye to my sister, met two friends in Dupont Circle for doughnuts, then met one of my best childhood friends for an early lunch. She told me that she accidentally mentioned my blog to my mom once so... Hi Ema, are you reading this? Just curious.
She also told me which entry is one of her favorites, and I just reread it while waiting here ("I am Here," May 2008) and got all teary eyed. It was an interesting experience reflecting on it from here in the US.
I was just starting to actually miss Israel. I considered this a huge accomplishment. I was even starting to look forward to going back. Then I came down to DC and realized how many people I wanted to see in such a short amount of time, and how much it sucks that I'm practically allotting thirty minute slots for each of my friends (and some have to double up). Not nearly enough time to catch up, share my adventures, and hear about theirs as well. I am generally flexible, and willing to shlep all over, but there are sleeping schedules and work schedules and homework and, most importantly, of course, accommodating my friend who goes to a bar to watch the football game. I wish there were hours in a day. I wish there wasn't an ocean between me and everyone else I know. If only the East Coast of the US was 5500 miles closer... and hey, that would put Chicago and LA where other friends live not that far away as well.
Tomorrow I will hopefully see Lisa in Boston, and the following week I will see Alissa is Boston, and before I know it I will be back in Jerusalem curled up with Harriet the Spy. I will start thinking about when my next trip to the US will be. It will probably be shorter and I'll once again feel stressed about drifting away from everything and everybody. Seeing this friend at lunch today was almost a relief, as I will get to see her again briefly over Rosh Hashanah.
I decided it's possible to question one's decisions without it leading towards regret. I still never regret my decision to make aliyah. I look forward to returning, starting graduate school, and being reunited with my friends there. I'm still leaving bits of myself in different places... Boston, Philadelphia, College Park... everywhere that's important to me. I'll be visiting College Park long after everyone I know there has graduated.
I don't expect to write anything until after I get back, so I wish each and everyone of you... in Israel and all over the US, or the total strangers who come across my blog, and Healthy and Happy New Year full of new and successful beginnings, choices, and just simple day to day victories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment