Where do I even begin? Yesterday I had a doctors appointment (#5 since I arrived) on Palmach and thought I left with plenty of time to deal with any possible road blocks, but when I got to the end of my street I was prohibited from crossing Jabotinsky. President Bush's arrival was imminent. Hundreds of policemen were out in anticipation of the two minute journey Bush would be taking from the King David Hotel to the President's House. A two minute trip that caused the entire center of the city to shut down. As my roommate put it, there was a map in the paper showing the area that would be blocked off. If you put a star in the middle, it would probably be smack on top of our apartment building. Though some people managed to cross the street anyway, I figured it might be fun to watch. I called the doctors office and told them what they had heard many times that day, that due to road closings I would be late. Bush finally came by. The frummy seminary girls were on the roof of their building shrieking "I LOVE YOU BUSH!" No one else in Jerusalem seemed to have anything of the sort to say. One of my bus drivers said "I hope it rains all week so his little vacation is ruined." Mostly comments like that.
Finally got to the doctors and it was concluded that I'm probably allergic to this country which is why my eyes are still itchy. But, I am pleased to say, I had an entirely positive experience with this doctors visit. Imagine that. Then I began my Palmach tour. Saw my gemara teacher and her adorable little boy, who got sick for my last two gemara classes just so his ema wouldn't be able to make me read in class. Then I saw my sister-in-law so I followed her home so I could get chicken soup. Mmm... chicken soup. While I was there I got a call from a friend who needed help with a bone marrow drive so I met up at his apartment to go do that. Nothing is more fun than helping a sorority girl with hand-eye coordination for swabbing cheek cells.
Then today... today was my last day of Nishmat. I am really glad I did this. I came up with the idea to do Nishmat part time until ulpan starts, which is also part time, because I knew I had to do it for just the right amount of time or else I would get burnt out. And I'm not burnt out. In fact, I could go longer. I think it's more likely I'll be burnt out by ulpan after next week than if I had one more week at Nishmat. It's sad that I can't imagine any time in the near future when I'll get to sit and learn again. Maybe it was even a luxury I couldn't afford this year, but I knew I had to. It is hard to look forward to ulpan. I can't wait to be in more of a college-like atmosphere and finally be around people who also just made aliyah. But shlepping there at 8am... groan. We'll see how long this lasts. At least I hope I last a long time, and I really want to learn Hebrew better, but I'm just not sure where the inspiration will come from.
After Nishmat I saw Davida- yay UMD reunion! Then I went to the most brilliant production of The Mikado. I'll put it this way, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be willing to spend 100 shekels to see their college professor dressed like a 400 pound man and singing at the top of his lungs? Professor Manekin would like you all to know that he does in fact sing and was not making it up. There was also plenty of Bush humor and Israel/Jewish humor mixed in. I was very well entertained.
On the way back I was once again prevented from crossing the street. On the way to the theatre I amazing was allowed to walk down King David Street. The policeman radioed another policeman asking if "an American with a teudat zehut" could walk through and they said yes... but when I got to the other end of the closed off area there were tons of angry Israelis not being allowed through. What a mess, for so many reasons. I hope someone taught Bush the word "bal'agan" and used it in the sentence "your visit has caused a tremendous bal'agan in our city." I was told I could cross the street farther down, and at least ran into a UMD friend on the way. When I got across (after they claimed we had to wait ten minutes until Bush went by) I decided to wait and see it again and invited Alissa to come out with me... but he didn't come. In fact, he only came an hour and a half after that. I wound up seeing it again from Cup O Joe where I found Avi and Jenn on their date. Just kidding, it wasn't a date. I mean at least not in the strictest sense of the word *cough cough*.
There you go, what I think is an entirely positive post. I've been surprisingly busy lately and lots of stuff has been going on. To top that all off my parents are coming for next shabbat!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment