Thursday, December 20, 2007

1. a few of the billion reasons I hate the healthcare system here 2. going to a shiur to actually learn Torah

I think people should have to pay me if they want to aggravate me. Aggravation always results in me spending more money-- whether it is calling someone to vent or needing to spend 41 shekels on dinner because if I don't have a full warm meal I'll have a meltdown. Mental note: never believe anyone who works in a doctors office. The secretary at the first doctors office I went to today told me I could have something done there that it turns out I couldn't. The secretary at another doctors office I went to couldn't find my file and accused me of mistakenly thinking I had been there before. I was there to get a REFILL for a prescription. It seems unlikely under those conditions that I would have forgotten where to go. Then the doctor tells me for the 500th time that he doesn't think I should be on this medication. Sorry, my doctor in the US wins. Loser. After two hours of waiting (at least my ear got taken care of and can hear again) I was on my way back up Rechov Keren Kayemet... tired, dehydrated, hungry, and very cranky. It was the second time since I made aliyah that I was ready to jump on a plane and go home.

On the the latter part of my day... I went with a friend to a shiur at the Begin Center. I decided that despite the cold and rain it was really important that I get out and try to unwind some more. Also it was exciting being able to hear again. The shiur was given by a Tanach professor (didn't catch his name) but had a bit of a musar in it towards the end. I enjoyed it and even understood most of the Hebrew. I am so amused at how many English words are now "Hebrew." It's amazing how many people were there. We got there a little late, and had to sit on the floor. And not only that, it was in a room with a projector set up because the main room was already full. It amazes me that I live in a place where going to a shiur is an ordinary evening activity. The crowd was definitely a mix of both Israelis and Anglos, younger people and older people. And everyone was there for the shiur! I'm sure there was some socializing, but for the most part people sat quietly with their source sheets and gave the professor their full attention. I was impressed, and happy. I admit that my main incentive to go to the Tuesday night shiur again is to see people, but I would prefer to go to a shiur like this. So maybe I will make this a weekly activity. It is down the street after all.

So in the end of the day I am cranky and extremely angry at my constant obstacles with doctors here, thankful for take-out places that make delicious chicken soup, and absolutely grateful for the friends I've found who hear me out and make me feel better.

And it's really funny about Shira's drawing... I will not explain that further.

No comments: