To our most recent graduates
of Gan Shelanu,
How do we suddenly say
goodbye to 22 kids after spending so much time with them?
Firstly, and most
importantly, thank you for being you.
Thank you for keeping us on our toes, for having such bold personalities,
and for always holding your ground.
Thank you for making mistakes, and thank you for the times you learned
from them. Thank you for letting us help
you back up when you’d fall, and for letting us take care of your booboos,
whether or not they were made up.
Thank you for always learning
and growing, for giving us opportunities to explore the world all over again
through your eyes, and for making sure we are up to date on Paw Patrol.
Thank you for always noticing
and complimenting me when I got new shoes and for letting me know if I had a
hole in my shirt. And on that note we
always loved when you’d rebel against the social norms of fashion, whether it
be earmuffs in July or three tutus layered over a pair of jeans.
Thank you for endlessly
testing my patience when I would try to teach you something, like when during
circle a few of your would huddle in the corner comparing nail polish colors. Thank you for the blank stares when I’d ask
you to repeat something I said three seconds ago. I wanted to throw you all out the window, but
it also made me want to try harder as an educator.
Thank you for constantly
reminding me how complicated the simple things in life can be, but always
reminding me to enjoy and appreciate those same things. I am sorry for all the times you got a blue
plate at lunch time when you wanted a green one, or when simply moving the red
chair over one spot to where you wanted to sit was not an option. I wish I could tell you that this will be the
worst disappointment you face in life.
Watching young children build
friendships is fascinating. One moment
you’d be punching each other in the face, and the next moment one of you would
be throwing him or herself on the floor and screaming because we suggested you
not sit with that friend at lunchtime. But
somehow, along the way, amazing friendships were formed. I love how much you all love each other, and how you had endless things to discuss at mealtimes. Who knew that you could live off of no food but
lots of good conversation? Some of you are already planning your
weddings with each other. But really, no
rush.
Thank you for sharing your
parents with us and letting us sometimes be just as excited to see and talk to
them as we would be to see you in the morning.
Thank you for letting us get to know your sabas and savtas too. You are all so lucky to have such wonderful
people helping to take care of you.
Thank you for all the times
you made me laugh with you, and at you, but mostly with you.
Thanks for running at me to
give me hugs in the morning as if you hadn’t seen me in days and I’d just
returned from sailing around the world.
Thank you for telling me stories that never seemed to end (and then….
and then….). Thank you for the times
you’d just plop down on my lap, not even because you wanted to tell me
anything, just because. Thanks for the hugs
and snuggles. I sometimes needed them as
much as you did.
You were the members of our
first ever second class, and then the members of our first ever third
class. We got to watch you grow as you
were a part of our gan growing. Some of
you had older siblings in Gan Shelanu before you, and we celebrated your births
with pancakes, and then a year or two later were so excited to welcome you to
gan too. Many of you became big brothers
and sisters over the past couple of years (so many pancakes), and in a few
weeks some of those little brothers and sisters will be starting gan with
us. A few more of them will join us in a
year from now. Our gan has grown with
your growing families, and that means so much to us.
So much of the past six years
has been built around trial and error (because that’s right, grown-ups make
mistakes too), but you kids seem to all be pretty amazing, and I know that we
get to take some credit for that, so we must be doing something right, and for
that I am endlessly thankful to all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment