I learned some interesting things/ made some interesting observations on Purim. Here are some of them. I think I'm getting really into itemized blog posts.
1) Walking around town in a cape never gets old. Having my face covered in blue paint and wearing a big red nose made it that much more fun. Except when a random person tried to pinch my nose. That was creepy. Though I did enjoy explaining my costume to a car full of sketchy Israelis as I was walking up Rechov Azza and they were stuck in traffic.
2) Europeans don't really know anything about Sesame Street characters. It's sad.
3) When your face is covered in blue paint, exhibit caution when giving someone in a nice sports jacket a hug.
4) On Purim people are as excited to get rid of junk food as they are to receive it.
5) The small chocolate store on Emek Refaim had megillah readings in it throughout the night. Probably Chabad related. How awesome is that?
6) There can be a zillion parties and cool things going on in an evening, but what beats catching up with an old friend in a cafe?
7) I once again showed that I can drink an entire bottle of wine (moscato) on my own and not get drunk. Even when it's followed up with a Smirnoff ice. I did get some interesting comments.
8) The seudah I went to in the late afternoon made me think of a shabbaton where everyone pregamed. It was all Bnei Akiva/NCSY sorts of songs but sang by people who could barely stand up straight.
9) If you want someone to take you seriously when you explain your job to them, do not also explain why your pants are wet and announce you have a wedgie (and proceed to address that issue as well). This is especially true if you are often on the news. I don't want to be watching a piece about Israeli soldiers in Gaza and think "that guy once spilled water all over his pants and picked a wedgie in front of me."
10) I've seen very few of my college friends drunk even though I went to a huge party school and many of them were drunk while we were there. I think I'm very happy about that though. Except for a certain incident on Simchat Torah when a certain someone was insisting that he could drive home safely, if only he could remember where he parked his car.
11) A combination of dishwashing soap and rubbing alcohol works well for removing facepaint. Also, Crayola marker washes off more easily than facepaint.
12) Shushan Purim is the best. You fast for a day, have a day to get really excited, and then the party begins. And on all those days you can wear a costume and be totally normal.
13) Purim makes the weird Israeli ladies with purple hair look normal for a few days.
14) I'm slightly jealous of Atara and Alexander. They're 8 and 6 and I didn't get to go to wild parties until I was at least ten or eleven. I had pretty low standards though.
15) Even though I wasn't drunk, can certain things I did after drinking the wine not count?
No comments:
Post a Comment