
Last night, thanks to Tal Brody (a former Maccabi Tel Aviv player, and a former oleh chadash) I got to go to a Maccabi Tel Aviv basketball game for free as part of a Nefesh B'Nefesh event. We filled three buses from Jerusalem and joined another hundred or so olim at the arena. Considering the relatively small number of fans at the game, it was impressive filling a couple sections with olim chadashim. I was happy because I had a good excuse to wear a Terps shirt. How could I NOT wear a Terps shirt to a basketball game? Maccabi Player Terence Morris, #9, is a former Terp. A couple of us fellow alums made huge signs for him. My favorite was the "DUKE SUCKS!" one I made. We are pretty unsure he didn't notice at all, but it was fun anyway.

The players were escorted to the court by cute little kids in uniforms. During halftime the kids scrimmaged on the court. I wonder how they earned the privilege. It was very cute. This picture was taken as they lined up for the singing of HaTikvah. I guess that's when I realized how cool it was to be at a professional sporting event in Israel. I was surprised they played a poor recording of the song instead of having someone sing it live. I guess they have a ways to go. There was less audience participation in this rendition. And, sigh, nothing beats the famous Maryland "O!!!".

This was truly the most fascinating part of the game. A crowd of teenagers with "Gate 11" t-shirts and sweatshirts who made up the cheering squad. This isn't just any cheering squad. These kids are clearly diehard friends who pour every ounce of energy into these games. I wonder if they ever do their homework. They were armed with flags, banners, and drums. This dorky kid with glasses in front was the ringleader. He held up his hand to single which cheer to do, and he coordinated two part cheers between the two sides of the section. I noticed at the end of the game that he had been holding the hand of that other boy the entire game. Why? I have absolutely no idea. Many theories though... I wonder how he got chosen for this job. Is there a rotation? Election? I think now in addition to my aspiration to have a kid who's the best crossing guard on the block, my kid should lead a pack of sweaty teenagers at Israel basketball games.
No comments:
Post a Comment